Spaghetti Pomodoro has become one of my go to comfort dishes in 2020. I started making it on a whim and this is big for me because I don’t LOVE tomatoes. I spent months growing them in my garden this Summer and just as they were ready, I left for a week and I lost all of them. Hopefully, I can do it again next Sumer.
The recipes I have seen use plum tomatoes which are in season until October. I picked my tomatoes up at the local farmers market in Chicago. They are just at the end of the season but so delicious. I hope you will give this recipe a try. What I love about this is it uses fresh ingredients that are easy to throw together when you need something for dinner quickly. You can add chicken or shrimp to it and toss in some red pepper flakes.
So here you go, this is my version.
Red Chili Flakes
Spaghetti or whichever noodle you prefer
1. Boil water and add salt to taste. Add pasta to boiling water.
2. Chop one clove of garlic and toss in pan on medium with olive oil and a few leaves of fresh basil (small amount to coat the bottom of the pan)
3. Wait 2 minutes until the fragrance comes out of the garlic.
4. Chop a handful of tomatoes into quarters and toss in the pan with the garlic and olive oil.
5. Wait for them to heat up as you move the tomatoes around with a wooden spoon. While the tomatoes cook, throw in about a 1/4 cup of pasta water. Let the water cook off as the tomatoes cook.
6. Add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the tomatoes.
7. Toss in cooked pasta and add fresh mozzarella. Add shrimp or chicken if desired and red pepper flakes.
Do you have a favorite comfort food dish?