If you told me 10 years ago that I would be a morning person, I would laugh. I had a job with a salary, boss, and normal (somewhat) hours. Being self-employed requires so much discipline. It wasn’t ever my intention to start a business, but after 10 years of being unemployed it seems to be a good fit for me.
I am a morning person. Before I go to bed, I set my alarm for 7 am. Almost every day of the week including Saturday and Sunday, I wake up about an hour before my alarm. Sometimes I can fall back asleep but most of the time I am awake. I will stay in bed until 7 and go through my day, what needs to be tackled. I have a notepad by my bed where I make my to do list for the day. As I fall asleep, there is always something I remember I need to do for the following day. This also helps me sleep better. I typically will turn off my alarm around 6:30 once I am wide awake.
1. I say what I am grateful for out loud. I cover just about everything in this moment friends, business, family. I love taking the time to appreciate everything I have, even the small things.
2. I am very dehydrated when I wake up, I keep water next to my bed and drink up right away. I am trying to get better at this before bed too. Even if it means getting up in the middle of the night.
3. I head straight to my Nespresso and turn it on. (I make sure the water container is filled the night before) I also pour 16 oz of water with a fresh lemon wedge.
4. Breakfast. It is pretty much guaranteed I will be hungry when I wake up. This varies a bit but normally it is my homemade yogurt (I make a weeks worth on Sundays) and fresh fruit. Breakfast always has fresh fruit, whatever is in Season. I do eat a small square of chocolate each morning with my coffee.
6. The timing of this is always different. Some days, I get dressed right away and other days I get right to work and forget I am still in my pajamas. I brush and floss every morning. I am addicted to my water flosser from Sonicare. I work out every morning at 9:15 so I throw on workout gear. I love Zella or Aloyoga for workout leggings. I have to keep enough on hand since I am at the dance studio 7 days a week.
7. I have a whole beauty/skincare routine that is a little lengthy so I will save it for another post. But I hydrate through cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. I throw on sunscreen and mascara for class and that is just about it! I am pretty minimalist when it comes to makeup and I don’t want to clog my pores when I work out.
8. I am in class from 9 – 10 every morning just about every day of the week. This gets my blood flowing and I get the best ideas for work during this time. It is so important to my creativity. I call it my “morning meeting” and schedule the rest of the day around this time. It is totally worth getting up early for and sometimes working late for.
Do you have a morning routine? What is one thing you have to do each morning?
This post does include affiliate links which helps contribute to my coffee and croissant research. Merci!